Supporting Our Veterans

Find Careers Like Your Military Job

Vet Resources Downloadable PDF

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for the disabled veteran property tax deduction?

A wartime disabled veteran must have a minimum 10% VA disability rating. A peacetime disabled veteran must have a 100% VA disability rating, or be at least 62 years old, with a minimum 10% VA disability rating. The veterans name must be on the deed, and he/she must be a resident of Elkhart County. The veteran will need his DD 214 and his/her VA award letter indicating the disability rating.

Can I receive assistance when searching for a home?

Yes, USAA has a program where they find a realtor for you when you move and are interested in buying a home.  For more information on this program, visit:

What are my veteran benefits?

Basic Benefits are: Healthcare, pension, disability compensation, home loans, education, etc (additional information is often required to provide the veteran an accurate answer to this questions; website is a great resource tool.

How do I apply for Disability Compensation?

Veterans can either apply online at (e Benefits) or at the Elkhart County Veterans’ Service Office.

How do I obtain a Military ID Card?

DOD Identification cards can only be issued through the RAPIDS computer system.  Information regarding RAPIDS locations is available at the Elkhart County Veterans’ Service Office.

What can you do in Elkhart County?

Elkhart County has 9 cities and towns which all have their unique personalities.  If you’re more of a city dweller, Goshen and Elkhart have you covered.  If you prefer the slower lifestyle of a small town, Bristol, Middlebury, Nappanee, and Millersburg are the places to be.

There are terrific local food joints with many popular micro-breweries.  In 2017, The City of Elkhart’s very own Iechyd Da Brewing Company made Travel and Leisure’s list of Best Local Breweries in the US.  The Goshen Brewing Company in the City of Goshen has also made a name for itself.

If you love an outdoor lifestyle, the bike trails, snow mobile trails, kayak rentals, and numerous parks around the county will satisfy your craving for adventure.  Not to mention, Elkhart County is only a few hours away from Lake Michigan, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and many other national landmarks.

What is available to Veterans?

Elkhart County is working hard to become a Veteran-Friendly community – not only in name, but in the resources we have available to our veterans.  Currently, there is a county VSO and numerous Service Organizations like the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans Post.  However, Elkhart County wants to go a step further in ensuring our community is accommodating for veterans of every age.  That is why we’ve put together a resource guide for your convenience.  We want to ensure you have the access to the correct information right at your fingertips.

Honor Rewards Program

Find a new career. Make a new home here.

Get more help, contact your ElkhartWorks Concierge:

The Economic Development Corporation of Elkhart County is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Phone: 574-293-JOBS (5627) | Toll Free: 877-535-1002 | Fax: 574-343-2951

[email protected] | | 300 NIBCO Parkway, Suite 201 | Elkhart, IN 46516